Musical Theatre Callback 2020-21
2020/2021 Callback Auditions
Dear Students and Families,
As your health and that of others is our top priority, Texas State Musical Theatre will be conducting all callbacks this season virtually. We will not be attending Unifieds or holding live on campus callbacks this year. However, in addition to providing virtual tours of our campus, facilities, and freshman dorm, we will also invite all students who receive offers to visit campus/classes in March/April assuming it is safe to do so at that time.
Please take a moment to read our mission statement on Conscience Theater Training- Diversity and Inclusion.
Our Pre-screen audition process remains the same, all applications for the program must be submitted by November 1, 2020, for consideration for Fall 2021 admission.
Live Virtual Callback Options 2021
January 14, 16, 17
Saturday Schedule (15 minute audition slots available)
- Required - Program Overview with Faculty 11 a.m.-12 p.m. (Saturday only)
- Auditions - 12:15 p.m. -5:00 p.m.
Sunday Schedule (15 minute audition slots available)
- Required - Q&A with Students 11 a.m.-12 p.m. (Sunday only)
- Auditions - 12:15 p.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Please be aware although your callback will be scheduled for Saturday or Sunday, you will attend the program overview with faculty on Saturday, and a student Q&A on Sunday.
Parents will be invited to attend a Parents Breakout Room with current and alumni Bobcat parents for a Q&A session. Details of dates and times will be included in the callback information.
Live online callback session will include:
Performing callback material and participating in a work session and interview/chat.
In addition, you will submit a pre-recorded video ahead of time of a short 30-40 second dance/movement combination that we will send you when we schedule your callback.
Students who are called back will also be sent a link to a campus and facilities tours with current students, which will include a visit to the Freshman Dorm (Retama). Videos from alumni sharing their experiences while at Texas State will also be included. Thank you for considering Texas State! Go Bobcats!
- You need to prepare two contrasting songs.
- Each song must be no longer than 32 bars.
- Please have a third, "Pop Rock" 16-bar cut.
- If you are singing two contrasting contemporary musical theatre songs, please have 16 bars of a traditional musical theatre or standard song available, if we ask for it.
Prepare 2 one-minute contrasting monologues. Must be from a play. Film or television show monologues are also acceptable. No monologues from musicals. The faculty panel will decide if you will present your second monologue. Contemporary monologues preferred but not required.
Make sure that your selection is appropriate for your age.
The selection should NOT require dialect, costume or props
- The dance portion of your callback will consist of a 30-40 second dance combo that will need to be pre-recorded prior to your scheduled callback and submitted a week prior. Details on how to submit your video, the deadline, and a link to the dance combination will be included in your callback letter.
- Candidates should dress in basic dancewear.
Click the document below for our Online Callback technical recommendations!
Offers- Campus Visiting Dates
Please note dates that offer candidates are invited to come to campus and sit in on classes and rehearsals.
If you are made an offer we recommend visiting for two full days of classes if you did not have your callback on campus. Visit also includes a campus, theater facilities, and dorm tour.